This year, the Nipmuc World Language Department is proud to announce the establishment of (3) world language national honor societies in celebration of achievement in the following languages:
Spanish (The Jorge Luis Borges – Nipmuc Regional Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica) sponsored by the AATSP – The American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
French (Société Honoraire de Français) sponsored by AATF – The American Association of Teachers of French.
Italian (The Maria Montessori Chapter of Società Onoraria Italica) sponsored by the AATI – The American Association of Teachers of Italian.
These honor societies are based on academic credentials (overall unweighted GPA of 80 and world language GPA of 85 for Honors/90 for CPS) with a “faculty advocate” signing off in support of student character and integrity. Students must have completed 2 full credits of a world language and be enrolled in a language class at time of application/induction.
- APPLY – Students submit application with school counselor, current world language instructor, and faculty advocate signatures (and one-time $10 fee). Applicants also will complete a “student reflection “Padlet” digital portfolio commenting on their Passion, Perseverance, and Participation in their world language studies. Digital portfolio is written in English and includes an embedded personal statement video in the target language.
- INDUCT – An induction will be held in March. Family, friends, and community members will be invited.
- RECOGNIZE – Students will be recognized with an official certificate from their respective national honor society affiliate.
- CELEBRATE – Students, family, friends, and the community are invited to celebrate at an informal coffee/pastry reception immediately following the induction.
- REWARD – Students receive official honor society cords to wear at graduation.
Students who earn membership into these national honor societies have opportunities to:
– Win scholarships
– Enter poster contests
– Take on a leadership role in local chapter (president, vice president, E-Board, etc.)
– Submit student writing/art work to journals for publication
– Earn other awards and recognition
Sample “Padlet” digital portfolios: